Plugin to use: One-click child theme
This tutorial is super easy and can be completed in less than 10 minutes.
So the main reason you will want to use a child theme is so that when your theme updates, you will not lose any of your customized settings. Other reasons would be:
- You will know where your code changes are, and they won’t be lost in the parent theme’s code, which could be hundreds of PHP pages long.
- It makes testing new customization simpler. If you try something new, and it breaks your website, you can change it faster. Again, because you will know exactly where to go.
- It is preferred practice by web developers. If you ever leave a project and a new developer takes over, it will make their life much easier– and that is fantastic! Keep your developer happy. 🙂
Okay, so let’s get on with the tutorial:
The first thing you will need to do after you have your theme installed:
2. Click on the “Search plugins…” box and type “one-click child“.
3. Find the right plugin–see the image for reference. It is developed by tychay, and click on “Install Now“.
4. Once installed, click the “Activate” link.
6. All you need to do now is fill out the top part that says “Theme Name“, and click on the “Create Child” blue button.
That is it! Your child theme is now created, and you will have a new area to do your customizations for CSS and PHP, etc. That area is located under “Appearance” – see image:
Now, to “create a customization to your child-theme” will have to be another tutorial, as there can be a lot to it.
So here you go!
I hope this helped. It is super-easy to create child-themes, and you should have one on EVERY WordPress website. There is no excuse to not have one. 🙂