In this tutorial I will be showing you how to create a sitemap for use on auditing a website.
Items to use:
- Google Sheets or Excel
Time to make:
- Depends on size of website
So in this tutorial I will be using Google Sheets, you can follow along just fine if you are using Excel. Also, I will be using our website as a demonstration, greendragonflywd.com.
Go to Google Sheets and open a new blank document. From there what I use as headers can change depending on what your new goals for your new website will be.
For this purpose I will just use the following:
- Title – This is simply what the “Title” of the page is called, like Home or About or Contact
- URL – This is the web address of the page
- Proposed New Title – If on your new website you want to change the Title it would go here, maybe SEO purposes.
- Proposed New URL – If on your new website you want to change the URL it would go here, maybe SEO purposes.
- Current Function – Here you would put what type of page it is; using WordPress you could put Page, Post, Category etc.
- Proposed Function – And here if you think it is better for SEO purposes to change the function of a Post to a Page it would go here.
- Notes – Anything that you would want your developers, designers or marketers to know about the page.
And that’s it, simple, quick and very useful for planning a new website. We use this process for all of our clients and they love it, keeps everyone on board. Also, by using the Google Sheets the document is collaborative, so you can have many people working on it at once and get feedback immediately.
I hope this helps you, let us know what processes you use in the beginning of redesigning websites.
Thanks for reading this tutorial.