Setting up your security for your WordPress website is insanely important.
You cannot set-it and forget-it anymore with your websites. Since WordPress is so popular these days, it is also a major target for hackers.
So… I will try to show you what we do, so you can be more secure, also, remember, always use a good password.
Plugin to use: https://wordpress.org/plugins/better-wp-security/
It’s the free version of iThemes, and it’ll do. So go to the above link and download the pluing, then upload it to your website using the plugins new tab in the admin panel on the left.
After you install it, it is time to configure the plugin:
1. Click on the tab that says “Security”
2. First thing to do is click on Security Check’s “Show Details” button
3. Now click on the “Secure Site” button
4. I suggest you go to the “Strong Password Enforcement” section and configure it. – set it to the Minimum role at which a user must choose a strong password.
5. Now configure the WordPres Salts area and click on the checkbox “Change WordPress Salts”
6. Now got to the Advanced area of iThemes Security
7. Finally go to the “Hide Backend” area and Configure the Settings there.
8. To configure this area just put in a word or numbers or phrase that you will remember. This is going to configure the wp-admin area so in order to log in folks will have to go to www.website.com/NEWWORDORPHRASE .
Now your website is a little more secure, there are other things you should do, but they are out of scope for this post. Hope this helps, and let me know if you need help setting all this up. – Cheers!